Wednesday, June 01, 2016

What I read & what I thought

I'm pretty hooked on this NetGalley site, where I can request to read copies of books that pique my interest.   Only problem is that I'm finding myself requesting like a crazy woman and then not being more committed to reading the titles that I'm approved for.    I did, however, just finish another 2 books that I really enjoyed.

American Tumbleweeds - Marta Elva 

Image result for AMERICAN TUMBLEWEEDS






  Honestly, I didn't think it was something I'd enjoy reading, but once I started it, I was hooked.   It grabbed my attention fairly early on.  I thought this story was written well, but I didn't understand some of the Spanish phrases that were used, but soon realized that there were context clues and usually right after a Spanish phrase, there was the English translation.  I liked the story itself, and I felt like I could actually see the characters and the scenery.  This story, although fiction, opened my eyes to an era and a history that I was unaware existed.  Or maybe I wasn't so much "unaware", but more uninterested.  That was BEFORE.
  When an author is able to bring a book to life and you are actually "in" the story and can visualize it, that is pretty awesome.  I guess it's not really a negative point, but I thought this book ended abruptly.   I liked the way it ended, but I didn't realize it was the end initially.  I thought I skipped over a few pages on my Kindle, so I had to go back and make sure.  Maybe it's going to be the first installment of a series?  If so, I'm pretty sure I'd look for the next book.


Sugar Daddy - Sawyer Bennett

Image result for sugar daddy sawyer                       Umm... I should have waited to read this until the other 2 were available.  Sugar Daddy is book 1 of the Sugar Bowl series.   (Sugar Daddy, Sugar Rush, Sugar Free)     Did not know that.   I'm kind of glad I didn't realize it, because I normally don't read series' or trilogies and may have never picked this up.     So glad I saw it on NetGalley and requested to read it.     I guess I would say that it's along the lines of a softer 50 Shades, if that's your genre... (it's not mine).   In fact, I once borrowed a book from the library, an author I'd never read before, and it was pretty raunchy.  I was reading it at work, on my lunch break and was almost embarrassed.   No one could possibly know what I was reading, but it was just not my kind of book.   I sound like such a prude.    I didn't feel like Sugar Daddy was that bad.     So, yes, there is sex talk in this book but it's not the entire basis.  It's got a little bit of romance, revenge, suspense...all wrapped up in one.
.   It was definitely, for me,  a "couldn't put it down" kind of read, and when it ended (still before I knew it was a series)... It was such a cliff hanger!  I'm so eager to read the next 2 books.   Definitely a beach read, this summer!  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Things We Keep - Sally Hepworth

Image result for the things we keep     I loved this book.   That's it.   No, I'm kidding.   But, it really was pretty great.  It kind of centered around 2 women, who were both in different places in their lives and opposite roles - but it was easy to keep up with and was a great story line.  Even though it was fiction, I felt myself feeling sad for the young couple who fell in love, despite both having Alzheimer's.   It scared me that it could happen; I can't imagine living like that.  Or knowing someone so young who suffered from it.  Definitely recommend it.  This was the first Sally Hepworth book I read, so I'm interested in seeing some of her other titles.


We Just Clicked -  Sophie Childs

   I requested his on NetGalley, because when I read the summary, it sounded like something I'd enjoy.    I didn't get very far.   I don't know if it's the style of writing or what, but I couldn't get into this.   I didn't even understand some of the terms or phrases that were being used..  so I gave up.   In the author's defense, she is from the UK.. so that may have been the obstacle for me reading this.   Words and phrases I've never heard.




On my NetGalley shelf to read next:
Emily Giffin - First Comes Love
Debbie Macomber - Sweet Tomorrows

Stay Tuned! 

1 comment:

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!