Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happy Hump Day!

Well, not really for me.. I was over the hump on Tuesday 'cause my work week ends on Thursday. I can't wait til Friday when I can sleep in. Only til around 9 but it's still better than 6:30!
***********************************************************************************

I just started reading this book called The Gift Of A Year by Mira Kirshenbaum, and I really encourage you to read it ladies! (or gentlemen)
I've only just started reading it but it's really got my attention and even this early into it, I just feel like it's going to be very instrumental in my life this year! Maybe every year! You have to check it out, if only to see what it's all about. It's not fiction - it's more of a self-help book. To sum it up, it's about having the best year of your life. The Gift of a Year meaning that you take one full year to give to yourself, whatever it is that you really want out of life. I've read some stories so far about women who've done it and some of the things were minor.. like writing poetry or rekindling the love of gardening. Others were major, like going to a foreign country for a year etc. It's a wonderful book and I just know it's going to be my favorite for this year.
Here are some excerpts and I KNOW for a fact that at least ONE person who reads this blog, will relate to it! Blessed

This Is a Year I'll Always
Treasure


"What is the gift of a year, and why
is it important?"





You're a special kind of woman. You say yes to life and to people. You're responsible and caring, ambitious and hardworking. So you've piled your plate with commitments. But now your commitments have taken on a life of their own. They've taken over your life. Because of all the people you've said yes to, needs and dreams of your own have gotten choked out. What's best in you is suffocating, and you know it.

What's the last big thing you did just for yourself?




When a Little Is Not Enough




Sure, we all do little things for ourselves from time to time. You buy an outfit because you like it, not because you need it. You go off for a day with a friend just because the two of you want to reconnect. You say no to some outrageous unreasonable chickenshit assignment your boss gives you.

All this is good, but can you name something meaningful you've done just for you recently? You rearrange your life for others. When's the last time the people who are important to you rearranged their lives for you?

You work incredibly hard and make a lot of sacrifices to keep things running smoothly in many people's lives. Who works hard and makes sacrifices to keep things running smoothly in your life?

You can name a whole list of people who come before you in your life. Who puts you first? Do you ever put yourself first?

Not very often, I'll bet, and almost never in a really big way, in a way that really matters to you and delivers a big payoff to the needs and dreams and desires of your real self. I know ... what else can you do? I know. My life is as full of commitments as anyone's. I'm married. I have two kids. I have at least two jobs. If I found a way to put myself first for once in my life and take care of what I needed to thrive—and I'll tell you how I did it later—so can you.




Whatever You Want




What are those needs and dreams that have fallen by the wayside for you? They're different for every woman, of course. With billions of women on the planet, there are billions of possibilities. Maybe what you need is to solve a particular problem—get on top of the stress at work, or find a way to get more fun and pleasure from your life, or stop getting involved with men who aren't good for you.

Maybe you want to make a specific dream come true—finally go back to school, or learn how to climb mountains, or take that trip to Paris.

Maybe you just need a real rest. Because sometimes simply doing nothing is the one thing your mind and body crave most. Or maybe you'd like to resolve a long-simmering issue in your life. Or get your life more organized. Or put the "you" back in your life. Or have some adventures. Or figure out where you want to go next with your life. Or do whatever you want.

Do you think you're the only woman in the world who's had to struggle with not getting her needs met? Of course not. Every woman struggles with this. And don't you think that with so many women in the same situation, an amazing solution would turn up? It has.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!