Monday, July 30, 2007

What say you?

Contrary to my title line, I'm not really looking for feedback on this ... Or maybe I am.. I don't know ... but here's the "thing":



Listening to the radio on the way to work today and the subject comes up about the Michael Vick -dog fighting- story.

So the guy on the radio goes on to say that while he does not agree with the idea and that he does whole-heartedly feel bad for the dogs etc; he just doesn't understand why people (community, society) put so much stock into the fight for animals etc.. and raising money, and are so concerned about animals, when we have so many homeless people in the country.

Well, my feeling with that is that the animals are, for lack of a better word, HELPLESS. It's my opinion, and I stress that word, OPINION, that people who are homeless have or had a choice.
How can this guy even compare the two?? It's not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. It's just not.

I've gone to the city with my sister for lunch a few times, and each time, I see this woman sitting on the streets with a sign asking for money because she's homeless, and every time I see her, there is a big beautiful dog with her, just panting away in the heat, with a bowl of water next to it. My first thought, the very first time and each time thereafter, is that I'm going to take that dog home with me and take care of it~ Some might deem that odd that I would take in the dog before the woman - but I know, who, out of the two of them made that choice. If that dog could speak, I imagine he'd say that he's sick of sitting in the hot sun with her day after day, begging for money, with some sob story about how she got there and why she can't get a break.

It's just so frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!