Sunday, December 01, 2013

Turkey Day recap

Just as I anticipated, Thanksgiving went somewhat as usual.   With the exception of Mom not being here for dinner, not much waivered.   I was very moody the week leading up to Thanksgiving, I think because it was weighing heavily on my mind, that Mom wasn't going to be with us this year.  The first in several years.   I didn't know if I'd be overly emotional or not.   But, luckily, between going to the inlaws' for appetizers and coming home to spend dinner time with my sister, niece, husband and brother, I guess I was distracted just enough to not dwell on Mom's absence.  Of course, I thought about her ALL DAY, but I worked hard to not fall into a sad place. 

Friday, for some reason, seemed to be all together different.  I kept my niece overnight so we could do some shopping on Black Friday.   Yes, she is 7 ...but was really excited to do the "shopping" thing we'd talked about so much.    So, we went to the mall and did a little shopping and ulitmately met my sister for lunch.   It was there, in the mall, that I started getting really emotional - and I couldn't understand why.    The one store we went into, had a DJ playing some great dance tunes, and some of the customers were actually dancing!  How fun and upbeat!  I thought it was awesome but at the same time, I kept tearing up.   I don't get it... but it happened. 
Maybe because Christmas will be that much harder this year - I thought it was getting easier since Thanksgiving didn't prove to be that sad, but maybe it was just different for some reason.

We had our nice turkey dinner and I burned the memory candle for Mom, that we got at the remembrance mass a couple of weeks ago... so I know she was with us in spirit.   (I'll post about that too) -- It was really beautiful.
My sister whipped up Mom's recipe for stuffing, and man, did it ever taste just like Mom's!  She'd have been proud!   My brother came by, and we had birthday cake for him and his girlfriend.  They're only a day apart - the 29th and the 30th.   They weren't expecting the cake so that was a nice surprise.

Now, I'm all turkey'd out and looking forward to getting things together for Christmas.  Lots of decorating to be done.   I just dread hanging the lights on the house.  I always get the task of holding the ladder still, while Jeff climbs to hang the lights.  Scares the crap out of me every year. 

I hope you all had a great holiday with loved ones.   I'm thankful for so many things this year.
Even though we lost my mom to it, I'm very grateful for my brother being cancer free... and for my family coming together, even a little at a time.    I'm grateful for all of you too - You all keep me sane through this crazy ride called life...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!