Monday, July 01, 2013

Quick Mom updates & a cop out

Well, yes,  I had very good intentions to start my C25K (treadmill version) today but I have been dealing with sciatica for the past few days.  It's so uncomfortable;  I can't even describe it.  I can't bend down or over, I can't sit for a long period of time, if I can stand to sit at all.  Work was tough, sitting there at my desk all day.   I moved around so much, because it's hard to get a good position where the pain isn't so prevalent.

So, I have an ice pack on it now and hopefully it helps - I looked up some exercises and I tried a few but I'm afraid to do too much for fear of hurting myself or making it worse.   So, we'll see what the next few days bring.

As for mom updates:   When we went to her last appointment, the doctor said her CT showed that none of the 3 tumors had changed.   (I was surprised he included her hip in that) - I was sure we'd forgotten about that, but I guess radiation shrunk it but didn't completely eradicate it.  
So, he said that there was no change, they hadn't gotten smaller and they also hadn't grown.   So, he wanted to start a new drug called Gemzar for the lung.   She still receives Herceptin each week for the breast cancer & now the Gemzar will replace the previous combo for the lung tumor.   I did a lot of research on it and it looks like it's a pretty strong drug;  I also read some feedback on good results, in some studies.
  I told Mom to be prepared for the nausea this time.  She got lucky with the last one, and didn't have too many side effects of it but this might put her through a little bit of hell.   Dr. Alex also noted that there was a small spot on the scan that showed on her opposite lung now - but he wasn't too concerned about it, he said it could be anything; it was very tiny.   If he wasn't concerned, we weren't going to dwell either.
He'll keep an eye on it of course.
Last week, Mom should have had her 2nd week of Gemzar, but her platelets were very low so they had to postpone -  Mom said her infusion nurse told her that Dr Alex was surprised that her lab work showed the drop in her platelets so soon, because it could indicate that it's working already.  We can hope!  We can PRAY!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!