Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday Things..

He sins who despises the hungry; but happy is he who is kind to the poor.

Ironically, I read that proverb tonight. I say ironically because tonight I was driving home from work and there was a young man standing at the traffic light holding a sign that read: Traveling, broke & hungry. Anything helps. God Bless.

Of course, there were a dozen cars who stopped at the light, had a quick glance and kept on their ways. Finally, one car, just as the light was turning, held out some money and handed it to him. It looked like a couple of 20's but could've been more. The thing that really sucks is that we don't know if this guy is truly down on his luck and/or homeless. I've seen him there before.. in fact this was the 2nd day that I did see him there. I mentioned to my husband on Saturday, that the young guy was clean shaven and didn't appear to be homeless. But how do we know? We can't just assume that he's a fraud and refuse to help him, can we? I'd rather give him the money in good faith, only to find out he was a fraud, than to not help him at all and find out he really is in need. I didn't give him any money but if I'd had the cash on me, I would've. I have done it before.. and never thought about it twice. Tonight reminded me of another bible passage that I love. In fact, it was the one I chose as part of one of the readings in our wedding ceremony.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. I'm always ready to help those in need and have done so, several times in the past. It may not always be a situation where the people truly are in need, but it's not for me to decide. They, if they are fooling others, will have to live with that. When I was collecting donations and distributing food baskets a few years ago to needy families, I can honestly tell you that, at least 3/4 of the recipients, were NOT in need. I was really disappointed and felt cheated by these people.. but again, they'll live with that, not me. I did my best to help them out and that's all I can do. I hope that some of you would do the same thing to help someone less fortunate, some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!