Thursday, July 18, 2019

the sky has finally opened, the rain and wind stopped blowin'

I'm the kind of person who can hear a snippet of a song, and know immediately if I like it.  Rainbow, by Kacey Musgraves, is one of those songs.  I'd never heard it, before watching her sing it at this year's Grammys.   I loved it and I had to learn every lyric.  What a beautiful song, that almost everyone can relate to?   Only about a week after I'd heard it, my Dad went into inpatient hospice.  He'd been at home, on hospice care, before that.   The day that Dad passed, after a few hours, we all packed up our stuff and headed home to resume life, without our Dad.   I was driving down the road, still about 20 minutes from home, and Rainbow came on the radio.  I smiled.   I felt like it was the song that would remind me of my dad now.  Listening to the lyrics, I was convinced.  

Then, the day of Dad's services, I was driving behind the hearse, following them to the cemetery. (I know, that sounds weird, right?) 👀    The weather was terrible that day.   Friday, March 1st.
 We woke up to a mix of snow and rain. Just a less than desirable forecast for this occasion.  Making it even more gloomy.
But, pulling into the cemetery, the weather started to clear a little, and just as I was turning in, Rainbow came on the radio.   I cried, instantly... but mostly I smiled.  It reminds me of my Dad in so many ways now, especially when I think of the lyrics.

♪♫ Oh tie up your boat, take off your coat, and take a look around ♪♫
        Everything is alright now


He'd been through so much in the past few years, health wise.  All the grueling tests, scans, results.  More of the same.   Sleep escaped him so often.  Some days he didn't have an appetite.  Some days you could see the pain on his face.  It broke my heart.  But I was always upbeat in front of him.  The Rainbow song kind of makes me think about that whole time in Dad's life.   The rain (all the trials) was now gone and the rainbow was here.  It always was; it was just hard to see for all the dark clouds.  Some people think the song's a bit hokey, but I will always sing it when it comes on the radio.  And I'll always think of Dad.  The last weekend that we spent with him, although extremely difficult, just as precious as any other weekend we'd spent with Dad.  Maybe even more.
 My niece loves the song too  - and we usually sing it together.   Maybe for the same reasons.  : )




1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to honor your father, his memory and all the moments you had together. Your story gave me chills as I had a similar experience with my father. Songs trigger emotions and take you back to special places that live in your heart. They are so versatile, and open to your own private interpretations. That song is a favorite of mine too, of course for different reasons. All the same it is beautiful and now will always make you smile a warm smile.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!