Monday, February 16, 2015

The #WishForOthers Capital One Campaign

Back, before we came upon the new year, Capital One ran a pretty awesome campaign, called #WishForOthers.   They gave people the chance to wish for something, that they could gift someone else, and it really took off on Twitter!   I saw a quick post about it one day, and I decided to give it a shot.
I knew what I would "wish" for almost immediately.  

I wanted to give memorial jewelry to 3 young women, whom I don't even really know, in remembrance of their mom, (Jeannie) whom I did know, through work.   Having lost my mom in 2013, I could relate to so much of what I was sure they were going through.  It was very difficult and continues to be, even for me, at 38.    Jeannie's girls are all under 30; the youngest still a high school student.  I feel lucky that my mom was here for so many of life's milestones, with my siblings and myself.  Like graduations, weddings, babies. I can't imagine how hard it will be for her 3 daughters to go through the rest of their lives without their mom.

I was sure that Jeannie's daughters have plenty of pictures and trinkets to remember her by, but I wanted to give them something personalized.    My initial plan was to get them each a necklace with Jeannie's fingerprint.   My sisters and I each got one when my mom passed away, and it's my most treasured piece of jewelry.   Unfortunately, I had to go through the funeral home, that handled Jean's services,  to secure the fingerprints.   They never replied to my request, so I had to come up with an alternative plan.   I searched for days/weeks and found a beautiful birthstone necklace and a precious picture frame.   With the help of Capital One's Wish For Others program, I was able to purchase these items for the girls.  I'm so grateful that Capital One chose my wish and made this happen.  I've thought about Jeannie's girls since she passed away last April and I was constantly wishing I'd been able to do something like this for them.   Capital One brought it all to life!   What an amazing thing to do. 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the gifts to the girls yet.  I had an unexpected health issue that has kept me out of work for 6 weeks.   But, I realized the other day, that the 1 year anniversary of Jeannie's passing is this April.   So now, I think that April would be a good time to present these gifts to the girls.  I'm sure it will be when they can use the comfort the most.   I've attached pictures of the items below.  The inscription on the necklace says "I'll hold you in my heart" and the birthstone is Jeannie's birth month.   As for the frames, I have photos at work that I am placing inside.   I'm sure the girls will change it to a favorite of theirs; I just thought it would be nice to actually have a photo of their mom in it when they receive it.  The inscription on the frame reads  "Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down, to let us know they're happy".        Along with the gifts, I have a beautiful remembrance card that I'm including, where I've written a little something inside.   I still have to get some gift bags so that I can have the gifts wrapped nicely before I send them off!  

I won't lie - At first, I was a little apprehensive because, as I said, Jeannie's daughters don't know me.
I figured they'd think I was a bit crazy for doing this and not even knowing them.  But then I tossed my fears aside and said "Why not?".      I hope these gifts bring them some comfort.  
I can't thank Capital One nearly enough, for helping to bring this to fruition.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for YOUR thoughts on MY thoughts! Happy reading!